Introduction to The 6Cs Design Guide
The 6Cs Design Guide sets out road and transport requirements for new development. It covers a range of scales, from new housing and industrial estates through to much smaller developments, such as a single new house.
A number of councils in the East Midlands have taken on The 6Cs Design Guide to replace their previous guides. We are working together to improve it in order to help us to address some of the challenges that we face over the next ten to twenty years. These include:
- How to deliver a large number of new houses, but also make sure that new development is well-designed, high quality and safe, fits in with its surroundings and can be kept well maintained in the future.
- To provide safe, high quality footways, cycleways and bus services to encourage people to make fewer journeys by car. This has benefits for peoples’ health, traffic levels and reducing impacts on our environment.
- To recognise that travel by car will still play a major part in a lot of peoples' lives, and that new development should therefore provide for safe and easy travel by all means.
There are things that are different about each authority in the East Midlands. We believe, however, that our coming together to develop a single guide offers a number of benefits. Our intention is:
- to share and combine our separate knowledge and experiences;
- to provide a consistency of approach that will aid the efficient delivery of new housing;
- to help us to promote better quality design;
- to help us to secure the transport improvements that are needed to support new development; and
Page Last Updated: 19 October 2011