What the Team does
- Children in Care Council - We have had a consultation/participation group of children in care and care leavers for several years. This group was called T2C. The group is now much bigger and is called the Children in Care Council. The Group works to help improve the lives of and outcomes for children in care and was involved in helping to draw up a pledge in which Leicestershire County Council makes a set of promises to children and young people in care.
- Work Experience – We arrange one-day work experience placements in the spring term of each year for young people aged over 14.
- Celebration of Achievement Events – We arrange two separate events in the autumn each year where young people who have been nominated for their achievements, come together to be presented with their awards.
- Computer Schemes - We can provide all foster carers who have children at secondary school, with a new computer for use in the home and laptops for care leavers in further education.
- Support in Learning to Drive – We support care leavers by helping to pay their provisional licence, test fees and lessons.
- Leisure Access – we develop schemes with leisure providers to give foster families free and discounted entry to facilities.
- Information – We produce a newsletter for all looked after children and young people once a term.
- Funding for Individuals – We have a fund of money to support the social, cultural and leisure activities of children and young people. There is an application form for this and a group of young people (in care) make the decisions.
- Children's Right Service - We have 2 Children's Rights Officers to support children in care.
Page Last Updated: 27 February 2014