Skip to main content

Housing for learning and physically disabled people

There are many different types of housing for a young person or adult with special educational needs, mental ill health or a disability (SEND). You can have continuous care, live in someone else's home or get help to live on your own or with friends.

Types of housing

The type of housing you can get will depend on what help you need with day-to-day living and what you can afford.

In your own home

You can live:

  • with other family members
  • with friends
  • in a home you own
  • in a home you rent

You can get help to live in your own home. This is called ‘supported living’. 

Renting your own home

Council and housing association homes

Apply for council housing or a housing association home through Leicestershire Choice Based Lettings. You can only apply for housing in your district council area.

If you live in Leicester, you can apply for council housing through Leicester City Council

Renting from a landlord

Search Homefinder for flats and houses to rent from private landlords throughout Leicestershire (including Leicester City).

Paying your rent

You may be able to claim Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent. 

You claim Housing Benefit from your district or city council. 

You may also be able to get other benefits to help you with your living costs.

Living in someone else’s home

You can live locally with another family and get help from a carer. This is called ‘shared lives care’. 

Residential care home

You can live in a large home with other people. You’ll get day and night care. This is called ‘residential care’.

Also see

Learning opportunities for adults with learning difficulties or disabilities

Find out about courses for young adults with special educational needs and/or disabilities

Help us improve this page Hide content
Top of page