Skip to main content

New national Covid tiers have been announced

From 2 December, Leicestershire moves into Tier 3 – we're working through what this means for our services and we’ll update our website when we can. In the meantime please check back for updates, and find out more about the new restrictions at


Latest data on cases in Leicestershire

Covid-19 test sites in Leicestershire

Sign up for the council's coronavirus updates 

Coronavirus - FAQs about your or your cared for person’s care or support

Frequently Asked Questions about your or your cared for person’s care or support.

Coronavirus - FAQs about your care and support

You can download a copy of this page here:

FAQs about your care or support   Opens new window

Will my home care worker still come to support me?           

Your care workers should still come to provide your care. If a home care provider is having difficulties providing care, they should be discussing this with us at the first opportunity. We are maintaining regular contact to ensure that providers are still able to deliver care. 

If for any reason, you are left without care and you don't have any family members, friends or neighbours who can support you, please contact our Customer Service Centre on 0116 305 0004.

Deaf or hard to hear: text 07949 633 788 instead
Monday to Thursday - 8:30am-5pm
Friday - 8:30am-4:30pm

Online contact form

Emergencies/out of hours: Telephone the Emergency Duty team on 0116 255 1606 if you need to speak to Adult Social Care outside of normal office hours.

Should my care workers be wearing masks?     

Public Health England recommends all care workers wear a mask when providing you with care. Please contact your provider immediately if your care worker supports you without one.

In addition, Public Health England also recommends all care staff use gloves and an apron when delivering close personal care. If there are paid care workers, cleaners or other helpers coming into your home, they should be following strict hygiene and infection control measures like, washing their hands, and keeping surfaces clean. If you aren't sure about this, you should contact your care provider.

My care worker is showing signs of the virus, what should I do?         

If your care worker shows symptoms of COVID-19, please tell your care provider. They will need to carry out a risk assessment and take steps to protect staff, their families and other people they support, from the virus. Your care provider should work with you to make sure that you are also safe.

I or someone in my home has COVID-19 or symptoms of it, can my care worker still come to support me?

Government guidance says that carers can continue to support you. You must contact your care provider immediately to discuss this with them, so they can work to keep everyone safe.

Please also see the guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection

I want to cancel my or my cared for person's care as I don't want anyone coming into the house.

You need to contact our Customer Service Centre on 0116 3050004.

We will need to talk about how your needs will be met, and make sure you are aware about what to do if your situation changes.

Will my or my cared for person's day service close during lockdown?

Current guidance from the government means that day services can stay open. We are continuing to work closely with providers to help them to keep services as safe as possible. We have asked providers to look at how they can support ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ people – you will be contacted by your GP or via a letter from the government if you fall into this group.

I have elderly parent or parents who I usually take shopping or prepare meals for but am self-isolating. What shall I do?

If there are no other family or friends that can support you, you can find out about available support in your area on the How to find help page. Our focus is on keeping critical services running, particularly those supporting vulnerable people.

You can find some companies that might be able to deliver food on our website.

If you still need support and this is critical, please call our Customer Service Centre on 0116 3050004.

Deaf or hard to hear: text 07949 633 788 instead
Monday to Thursday - 8:30am-5pm
Friday - 8:30am-4:30pm

Online contact form

Emergencies/out of hours: Telephone the Emergency Duty team on 0116 255 1606 if you need to speak to Adult Social Care outside of normal office hours.

I or my cared for person, are in the middle of a care and support assessment - will this carry on?    

Your assessment should still continue. There are different ways the assessment might be completed, such as over the phone, and the social care worker will discuss these options with you. We will still do face to face visits if this is the best option, but the social care worker will be taking extra precautions to help keep you and them safe, such as using personal protective equipment (PPE) like masks and gloves or talking to you in an outside area if this is possible and appropriate.

Can I still apply for a carer’s assessment?

You can still complete online carers assessment or ask Support for Carers to help you to do this over the telephone. Leicestershire Support for Carers continue to offer their valuable support via the telephone, email, and social media.

Support for Carers:

Telephone: 01858 468 543 


You can also find some useful advice from Carers UK website about looking after your health and further support

If you are a carer, please see our Coronavirus guidance for unpaid carers.

Top of page