Coronavirus - FAQs about your or your cared for person’s care or support

Frequently Asked Questions about your or your cared for person’s care or support.

We are currently reviewing this information and hope to update it as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

You can download a copy of this page here:

Will my home care worker still come to support me?         

If for any reason, you are left without care and you don't have any family members, friends or neighbours who can support you, please contact our customer service centre.

Customer Service Centre:

Phone: 0116 305 0004

Deaf or hard to hear text: 07949 633 788
Monday to Thursday, 8.30am to 5pm, Friday, 8.30am to 4.30pm

Emergencies/out of hours: Telephone the Emergency Duty team on 0116 255 1606 if you need to speak to Adult Social Care outside of normal office hours.

Online contact form

Should my care workers be wearing masks?

Yes. The government restrictions have not been lifted for people working in health and social care. Therefore, they must wear a face mask when conducting care. If there are paid care workers, cleaners or other helpers coming into your home, they should be following strict hygiene and infection control measures like, washing their hands, and keeping surfaces clean. If you aren't sure about this, you should contact your care provider.

My care worker is showing signs of the virus, what should I do? 

If your care worker shows symptoms of COVID-19, please tell your care provider. They will need to carry out a risk assessment and take steps to protect staff, their families and other people they support, from the virus. Your care provider should work with you to make sure that you are also safe.

I, or someone in my home has COVID-19 or symptoms of it. Can my care worker still come to support me?

Government guidance says that care workers can continue to support you. You must contact your care provider immediately to discuss this with them, so they can work to keep everyone safe.

Please also see the guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection

I want to cancel my or my cared for person's care as I don't want anyone coming into the house

You need to contact our Customer Service Centre on 0116 3050004.

We will need to talk about how your needs will be met, and make sure you are aware about what to do if your situation changes.

I or my cared for person, are in the middle of a care and support assessment - will this carry on? 

Your assessment should still continue. There are different ways the assessment might be completed, such as over the phone, and the social care worker will discuss these options with you. We will still do face to face visits if this is the best option, but the social care worker will continue to take extra precautions to help keep you and them safe, such as using personal protective equipment (PPE) like masks and gloves or talking to you in an outside area if this is possible and appropriate.

Can I still apply for a carer’s assessment?

You can still complete online carers assessment or ask Support for Carers to help you to do this over the telephone. Leicestershire Support for Carers continue to offer their valuable support via the telephone, email, and social media.

Support for Carers:

Telephone: 01858 468 543


You can also find some useful advice from Carers UK website about looking after your health and further support

If you’re a carer, please see our Coronavirus guidance for unpaid carers.