Skip to main content

Complain about poor standards of care


If you think a vulnerable adult is being abused by a care worker or in a care home report it to Adult Social Care.

Step 1

If you’re unhappy with the standard of care you or someone else is getting speak to the:

  • care worker
  • manager of the care agency – if you’re getting help at home
  • manager of the care or nursing home

Step 2

If you’re not happy with their response, contact your social worker.

Step 3

If you’re not happy with the response from your social worker, contact the Customer Relations Manager using the online complaints form.

You can also write a letter, email or telephone the Customer Relations Manager.

What happens next

We will write to you within 3 days of receiving your complaint to tell you we have received it. We will tell you who will be investigating it and when you can expect an answer.

Investigating your complaint

We will investigate the complaint. In some cases, we will ask an independent investigator to look at it – depending on the seriousness of your complaint. We may ask you to meet us and the care provider to find a solution to the problem.

We will write to you to tell you the results of our investigation.

If you’re not happy with our investigation

Contact the Customer Relations Manager if you’re not happy with the findings of our investigation or how we’ve dealt with your complaint.

Contact the Local Government Ombudsman if you’re still not happy after contacting the Customer Relations Manager again.

If someone’s freedom is being restricted (deprivation of liberty)

There’s a different process for challenging a care home if you think you or someone else is having their freedom seriously restricted (known as a ‘deprivation of liberty’).

Help us improve this page Hide content
Top of page