Skip to main content

Financial support for adult learning courses

If you receive certain benefits you can get either a 70% discount on GoLearn! adult learning courses or may be entitled to attend for free. Even if you’re not receiving benefits, you may still be entitled to help.

Last updated

GoLearn! 22/23 Courses

Our courses for the 2022/23 academic year will ‘GoLIVE’ on Monday 4 July 2022 at 8:30am. You'll be able to enrol online using our course search and via FREEphone 0800 988 0308. A 20% Early Bird discount is available on all fee-paying courses from Monday 4 July until Wednesday 31 August 2022. The discount is automatically applied to the fees shown on our online course search. 

GoLearn! Course Search

Support for Ukraine: English Courses

GoLearn! and Leicestershire County Council are offering FREE ESOL courses (English for Speakers of Other Languages) for Ukrainian refugees in Leicestershire. Details for how to make contact are on the Support for Ukraine page. Contact can be made by a friend, sponsor, support worker or the refugee themselves.

Tuition fees

Getting your course paid for

You can get your course tuition fee paid for if any of the following applies:

You receive:

  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (work related activity group only)
  • Universal Credit (mandated to training)

Or studying:

  • a Skills for Life course (not English for speakers of other languages - ESOL)
  • an entry or level 1 course - if you’re unemployed and on a state benefit or aged between 19-23 years and do not already have a full level 2 qualification and require this to move onto to a level 2 course.

Courses are also free if you’re unemployed and claiming other means-tested benefits and need the skills to get a job. You must sign a self-declaration form to confirm that you intend to get a job and you need the qualification to do so.  The learning must be directly relevant to both your employment prospects and the needs of the local labour market.

Getting a 70% discount

You pay 30% of the full course tuition fee if:

  • you’re on a course


  • you're on a low income (single household income of £20,120, joint household income of £25,368) 

or you receive any of the following benefits or are dependent on anyone receiving any of these benefits:

  • Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit (excluding Single Person Discount)
  • Income Support
  • Pension Guarantee Credit (Savings Credit only is not eligible)
  • Employment Support Allowance (must not be attending Work Related Activity Group)
  • Asylum Seeker claiming Asylum Support assistance
  • Working Tax Credit (conditions apply)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Attendance Allowance

For example: A course that has a full cost of £29.70, you will only pay £8.94.

Paying with instalments

If you feel that you might struggle to pay your course fee all at once, you're also able to pay in instalments – if the total cost of your course is above £50. Instalment plans need to be put in place manually, so if you wish to pay by instalments, please contact us on FREEphone 0800 988 0308 or by email at to enrol on your course. It's not currently possible to set-up an instalment plan using our online enrolment process.

The number of instalments you can pay in, varies depending on the amount you need to pay and the length of the course. The table below details the numbers of instalments you can pay for a course in: 

Course feeLength of course
Payable by the learner5 weeks or less6 weeks or less10 weeks or less

£50 - £125

2 instalments  
(60%, 40%)
2 instalments  
(60%, 40%)
2 instalments  
(60%, 40%)
£126 - £2002 instalments  
(60%, 40%)
3 instalments  
(50%, 25%, 25%)
3 instalments  
(50%, 25%, 25%)
£201+2 instalments  
(60%, 40%)
3 instalments  
(5%, 25%, 25%)
4 instalments  
(40%, 20%, 20%, 20%)

The cost of your course, as detailed in the table above under the ‘Course fee’ heading, is based on the final cost of the course which is payable by you. So it is the final fee payable after any fee reductions or Early Bird/New Year discounts have been applied. It does not include any materials of exam fees which will need to be paid upfront. 

Instalments are applied on a course by course basis, rather to the total amount you need to pay for multiple courses. In agreeing to pay by instalments you will need to sign and return a terms and conditions. Our Business Support team will advise you of how to make your ongoing payments when you enrol. If you are unsure, or need advice on paying by instalments, please feel free to contact us on FREEphone 0800 988 0308 to speak to a member of our team.

Learner Support Fund

The Learner Support Fund is available to help learners with course costs. 

You may be able to apply for help with:

  • Leicestershire Adult Learning Service exam fees
  • child care
  • transport
  • books and materials

if you’re on a low income (single household income of £20,120, joint income of £25,368) or your receive certain benefits. Please ask at enrolment.

Course fee loans

24+ Advanced Learning Loan

If you’re 24 or older, you can apply for a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan to help with the fees charged by colleges and training organisations.

The course must have started on or after 1 August 2013 and be an eligible level 3 or above course. For more information and how to apply, see Advanced Learner Loan (GOV.UK)

Top of page