Skip to main content

Services for 'looked after' children and young people

‘Looked after’ children or young people can get help and services from us to keep them safe and happy and to make sure they are given opportunities to better themselves and reach their goals.

Children's Rights Service for children in care

You can ask for help from the Children's Rights Service if you are a child in care or have been looked after by the Children and Family Services.

Children’s Rights Officer

Children’s Rights Officers work for this service and you can ask them to:

  • help you understand your rights and make sure you’re being treated fairly
  • give you information, help and advice
  • attend meetings with you and speak on your behalf
  • help you get legal advice
  • advise you if you wish to make a complaint about the Children and Family Services or help you with something you’re unhappy with
  • help stop things that shouldn’t be happening to you
  • make sure you are listened to by your carers

You won’t get into trouble for contacting a Children's Rights Officer and they’ll keep the information you give them private and confidential.

A Children's Rights Officer is not a social worker.

A Children's Rights Officer won’t do anything if you don’t want them to - unless you or someone else is being hurt or may get hurt.  In this situation, you’ll be told what’s going on.

You can get help from a Children’s Rights Officer by phone, in writing or by a visit.  If you live in a Leicestershire children’s home, you can arrange to meet with an officer when they make their visit.

Top of page