Skip to main content

Coronavirus is still a danger

To help prevent the spread and stay safe you can:
• keep a distance from others
• wear face coverings in crowded and enclosed spaces
• wash hands often
• get your vaccine/booster when you’re eligible
• regularly test and self-isolate if required

Further guidance on how to stay safe and prevent the spread

Sign up to Leicestershire Matters for council updates

Get help with your child's progress

We know it might feel uncertain and daunting when beginning to explore support for your child. However, if your child isn’t progressing as well as they should, is having difficulty at nursery, school or college, or has a disability, they can get extra help.

How to get help

If you’re worried about your child’s progress speak to:

  • their teacher
  • their nursery worker
  • the school SENCO
  • your GP or health visitor if your child isn’t in nursery or school


  • contact SENDIASS

Every school and nursery has a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO). They’re teachers who are trained to identify children with special educational needs and make sure the children get all the help they need. You can talk to the SENCO at your child’s school or nursery. They’ll be able to explain how they can help and if they can get other services involved.

Help your child may get

The help your child will get may include:

  • a special learning programme
  • extra help from a teacher or assistant – including help from a teacher who specialises in your child’s condition
  • working in a smaller group
  • help to take part in class activities
  • extra encouragement in their learning – for example to ask questions or to try something they find difficult
  • help to communicate with other children
  • a referral to other agencies for support

You may also find other services in our Directory

Your child’s school or college may create a Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Plan or ask for an assessment for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Support Plan to help set targets and agree ways of helping them.

You should be asked to meet to discuss targets and support with the school. If your child has received support from school and is still not making progress the school may ask for an assessment of their Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs from the Local Authority. Families, Young people, Nurseries, Colleges and other professionals can also ask for an EHC Needs assessment if a child is not making progress.

Get advice

Contact SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) for independent advice if you think your child isn’t getting the help they need.

Telephone: 0116 305 5614
(Monday to Thursday 9am to 4.30pm, Friday 9am to 4pm)

Also see

Top of page