Skip to main content

Moving between nurseries, schools and colleges

Information to help a child with special educational needs and disabilities before they move to another childcare provider, school or college.

Your child’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan or Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Support Plan will go with them when they move to a new nursery, school or college.

Sharing information

Your child’s nursery or school will need to share information with the new nursery, school or college. 

The information they’ll need to share includes:

  • important medical information
  • who your child’s friends are
  • your child’s SEND Support Plan or EHC Plan
  • what your child has learned

Seeing the new nursery, school or college

The new nursery, school or college should also give you photos of the new classroom and the people your child will be in contact with – eg their teacher, teaching assistant and special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO).

You’ll also be able to visit the new nursery, school or college. Ask your child’s teacher or the SENCO at your child’s nursery or school to help you arrange a visit to the new one.

What you can do

The Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities has information about how to help your child move from primary to secondary school.

Top of page