Our proposals include:
- Expanding our existing special schools
- Creating up to 15 new SEND ‘units’, or ‘enhanced resource bases’ in mainstream schools
- Building three new special schools: two for social emotional and mental health needs (SEMH) and one for communication and interaction needs (this includes autistic spectrum disorder - ASD).
- Creating more places in our existing enhanced resource bases
*Enhanced resource bases are small units with specialist staff where children can benefit from smaller teaching groups and extra help, whilst still having access to the mainstream school for certain activities.
This can help to give each child a personal timetable that is geared to their learning, emotional and social needs.
In the spring, more information will be available on the type and proposed location of the provisions.
However, in the meantime we want to hear your views on how the new provision should look and feel.
You can find out more by reading our
Opens new windowSEND consultation document Opens new window
Easy read version of the SEND consultation document
A series of meetings will being held for anyone who would like to find out more. Booking isn’t necessary:
- Tuesday, 26 February, 6-8pm at Birkett House School, Station Road, Wigston, LE18 2DT
- Wednesday, 27 February, 1-3pm at Birch Wood School, Grange Drive, Melton, LE13 1HA
- Tuesday, 5 March, 6-8pm at Ashmount School, Thorpe Hill, Loughborough, LE11 4SQ
- Wednesday, 6 March, 1-3pm, Forest Way School, Warren Hills Road, Coalville, LE67 4UU
- Wednesday, 6 March, 6-8pm, Dorothy Goodman School, New Upper Building, Barwell Lane, Hinckley, LE10 1SS