Residents are being encouraged to do their bit for the environment as part of a national campaign to tackle recycling.
Leicestershire County Council is teaming up with Recycle Now as part of Recycle Week, which runs from today (Monday, 24 September) to Sunday, 30 September.
Now in its 15th year, Recycle Week celebrates recycling and aims to encourage everyone to recycle more by demonstrating the benefits of recycling items from around the home.
New research from Recycle Now shows that more than half of UK households put at least one item in the general rubbish that could be recycled instead; while 76% put items in their recycling bins that are not recyclable locally.
As part of Recycle Week, residents across Leicestershire are being encouraged to take some simple steps to make their recycling efforts better than ever.
You can play your part in Recycle Week by:
- Recycling more of these items: drinks bottles, aerosols, tin foil, cleaning product bottles, shampoo and shower gel bottles, toilet roll tubes
- Making sure that these items don’t go in your household recycling: nappies, leftover food, clothes and other textiles.
Leicestershire has a good record of recycling, but we know that our residents can help us make this even better.
“Whether it’s the bathroom, bedroom or kitchen, just a few more items from around the house can make a real difference.
We all have a part to play in looking after the environment for future generations and getting our recycling right is just one of the ways we can all help.”Person:Councillor Blake Pain, lead member for environment and transport
Throughout Recycle Week, the county council's waste initiatives team will be joining district councils at stands across the county, where people can ask questions and pick up top recycling tips and advice. Stands will be at the following locations:
- Harborough Indoor Market, Northampton Road, Market Harborough – Wednesday, 26 September (9am - 1pm)
- Loughborough Market, Market Place, Loughborough – Thursday, 27 September (9am - 2pm)
- Hinckley Market, Castle Street, Hinckley – Saturday, 29 September (9am – 2pm)
About Recycle Week
Recycle Week is the UK’s annual event to build awareness of, and encourage increased participation in recycling behaviour. It is organised by WRAP under the Recycle Now brand and takes place this year in the last week of September (24-30 September).