More than 300 people in Leicestershire attempted to ditch the cigarettes during last month’s Stoptober challenge.
Figures show a total of 332 people were supported by our in-house QuitReady service.
We are delighted that more than 300 Leicestershire residents took part in Stoptober as kicking the habit can be difficult.
“Sadly, smoking is still a leading cause of premature death, which is why we would encourage people to sign up to our free service.Person:Councillor Pam Posnett, cabinet member for health and wellbeing
Evidence shows that people who quit for 28-days, are five times more likely to stop smoking for good.
However, QuitReady advisors say that the first 12 months as an ex-smoker may still present challenges and have issued some top tips to stay smoke free:
- Remind yourself of the reasons you decided to quit in the first place;
- Make a list of all the good things quitting smoking has given you so far;
- Keep busy and if you want to smoke, distract yourself – cravings shouldn’t last for more than five minutes;
- The support of friends and family can be vital – tell them that you are determined to quit for good and let them know how they can help you;
- Staying smoke free is a big achievement. So whether you buy yourself something special with the money you have saved, or go out for a meal with friends, make sure you treat yourself.
You can contact QuitReady for stop smoking advice and support, including free stop smoking medication and E-Cigarette starter kits with follow on nicotine liquids, by calling 0345 646 66 66, texting 'ready' to 66777 or visiting: www.quitready.co.uk