People planning a trip one of Leicestershire’s household waste and recycling centres over the Easter Holiday weekend are being urged to check their opening hours before they set off.
The county council is expecting its waste sites to be very busy.
It has plans in place to deal with demand, but has warned staff shortages, caused by various factors including Covid-19, other illnesses and recruitment difficulties, could affect opening hours.
Subject to any required unplanned changes:
- Sites at Lount, Lutterworth, Market Harborough, Melton Mowbray, Mountsorrel, Shepshed and Whetstone will be open on Good Friday.
- Our sites at Barwell, Coalville, Loughborough, Market Harborough, Mountsorrel, Oadby and Whetstone will be open on Easter Monday.
- However the Lount, Lutterworth and Melton sites will be closed on Easter Monday (April 18) because of staff shortages.
- The normal opening hours at most sites are 9am to 7pm (Tuesday to Friday) and 9am to 5pm (Saturday, Sunday and Monday).
- The Coalville site will be open 9am to 5pm on its usual opening days which are Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Bottesford and Somerby waste sites are currently closed due to staff shortages and Kibworth waste site will be closed until late autumn as it undergoes a major refurbishment.
The Easter bank holiday weekend and the following week can be an incredibly busy period at our waste sites, and we’re expecting it to be no different this year.
“The extra demand comes at a time when we have many staff suffering illness alongside continuing difficulties recruiting and retaining staff vital to run our sites safely.
“While we plan for busy periods, like Easter, we would ask people to consider, if possible, making their trips at another time.
“I’d also like to thank people for their understanding and co-operation.Person: Lead member for the environment and the green agenda Councillor Blake Pain
Some waste sites may also be unable to accept certain types of waste at times if they become full as many of the landfill and material recycling facilities are closed over the holiday period, so please check our website for further information.
All the latest information on waste site opening times is available on the county council website and people planning a trip to recycle or dispose of rubbish are advised to check before they set off.