People planning a May bank holiday weekend trip to Leicestershire’s household waste and recycling centres are being urged to check opening hours before they set off.
The county council expects its waste sites to be extremely busy over the weekend and on Monday 2 May.
The council has plans in place to deal with extra demand but has warned staff shortages and difficulty in recruiting staff, could lead to unplanned changes.
At the moment:
- Sites at Barwell, Coalville, Loughborough, Market Harborough, Mountsorrel, Oadby and Whetstone will be open on Bank Holiday Monday.
- However, the Lount, Lutterworth and Melton sites will be closed on the May bank holiday because of staff shortages.
- The normal opening hours at most sites are 9am to 7pm (Tuesday to Friday) and 9am to 5pm (Saturday, Sunday and Monday).
- The Coalville site will be open 9am to 5pm on its usual opening days which are Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- The Shepshed site will be open 9am to 7pm on Thursdays and Fridays and 9am to 5pm on Saturdays.
- Bottesford and Somerby waste sites are currently closed due to staff shortages and Kibworth waste site will be closed until late autumn as it undergoes a major refurbishment.
This is always an extremely busy time of year at our waste sites.
We can sometimes have difficulty in accommodating all the extra waste and recycling delivered as our sites do not have an unlimited capacity.
This may mean we are unable to accept certain waste types if sites become full as many landfill and material recycling facilities are closed during the May bank holiday.
I’d urge people to check our website before they set off and I’d like to thank residents in advance for their understanding and co-operation.Person:Councillor Blake Pain, cabinet member for the environment and the green agenda
All the latest information on waste site opening times is available on the county council website.