Major plans have been lodged to create 2,750 much-needed new homes, community facilities and business space near Lutterworth.
The 550-acre development on land east of the town – including around 1,000 affordable homes, over 100 hectares of green space and two new primary schools – would generate 2,500 jobs, and is in line with Harborough District Council’s emerging Local Plan.
Leicestershire County Council is behind the proposal and has now submitted a planning application to Harborough District Council.
Residents can view plans and speak to officers at an exhibition in Lutterworth on Friday, 22 March.
New homes are in demand. And our focus is on creating quality, affordable houses that will help people get on or move up the property ladder.Person:Deputy council leader, Byron Rhodes
Clearly, it’s important they’re located in the right place – and the plan could ease pressure for further development in other, less suitable parts of Harborough.
Almost one thousand people attended an exhibition last autumn. Their feedback has helped to shape the final proposal and we remain committed to clear and ongoing engagement. The drop-in event is a great opportunity to find out more and talk to officers and I’d encourage residents to go along and have their say through the planning process.
The scheme – which would also generate millions of pounds for the county council to invest in frontline services - features:
- Swift Valley Community Park, playing fields, allotments, woodland, trees and hedgerows and new ecological habitats
- Foot and cycle paths – connecting with Lutterworth town centre, boosting walking and cycling
- 23 hectares of retail and business space - creating 2,500 jobs
- Two new primary schools - and extra secondary school places
- Roads and transport - improvements to main roads and M1 to boost capacity, a new M1 bridge, a new spine road to reduce town centre traffic plus new bus routes
- A community hub - with shops, restaurants, cafes, health centre and community hall
- Ultra-fast broadband at each property
The planning application is set to be determined by Harborough District Council this summer.
Drop in to our exhibition to find out more
- open from 1pm to 8pm on Friday, 22 March at the Wycliffe Rooms, George Street, Lutterworth, LE17 4ED
- officers and members of the planning team will be available to answer questions and advise on how to comment through Harborough District Council’s planning process
You can view the application here - the planning application reference number is: 19/00250/OUT