Skip to main content

Apply to be a licensed chaperone

Chaperones look after children who take part in performances or activities such as dancing, theatre, film, television, modelling or sport.

Last updated

All children who require a performance licence must be supervised by a licensed chaperone or their own parent/legal guardian, school teacher or home tutor at all times.

Grandparents, aunts and uncles, childminders etc are not legal guardians, unless they are recognised as such by the courts and will need to be licensed as a chaperone.

Parents, unless they are a licensed chaperone, can't be responsible for children other than their own. 

To apply for a chaperone licence you must be 18 years old or over and live in the Leicestershire County Council local authority area.

There are two different chaperone licences that you can apply for:

Professional chaperone licence

Apply for a professional licence if you are contracted to an organisation as a paid chaperone.

The cost of a professional licence is £48.40.

Volunteer chaperone licence

Apply for a volunteer licence if you are not receiving payment to work (e.g. if you are a volunteer for a local dance school). 

The cost of a volunteer licence is £8.40.

Your duties as a chaperone

A chaperone must show the same care a good parent would and cannot carry out another role at the same time, or have any other responsibilities associated with the performance. The main responsibilities include:

  • to protect the health, safety and welfare of the children in your care 
  • being aware of health and safety issues on set/stage/backstage
  • making sure the children have sufficient breaks, rest and meals
  • ensuring the conditions of all children's licences are met 

You must stay with the children you are supervising at all times. When they are performing you don’t need to be by their side, but you must always be able to see them.

Applying to be a licensed chaperone

Applications are now made online (below) – paper applications are not accepted.

It takes at least 8 weeks from your interview date to process a chaperone licence – please consider this if you wish to be a licensed chaperone for a specific event.

DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checks

To apply for approval as a licensed chaperone you will need an Enhanced DBS check – we complete this as part of the application process.

If you already have a DBS Certificate it may be possible to use this as part of your application. However, the DBS check must meet all of the following conditions:

  • Be issued by the registered body "East Midlands Shared Services"
  • Have an issue date within the previous 12 months
  • Be an 'Enhanced' type and checked against the "Children's DBS Barred List"
  • You must present the original DBS Certificate

If you already subscribe to the online DBS Update Service, you will not need to apply for a new DBS Certificate with us. We will need you to show us the original Enhanced DBS Certificate that you used to register with the Update Service, and give us permission to carry out an online Update Service check.

Approved applications

If you have been approved as a licensed chaperone you’ll be sent your certificate and ID badge by post – these are valid for up to 3 years. You must tell us if your circumstances or address change as this can invalidate your licence.

If you do not receive your chaperone licence within two months of submitting the form to us, please contact us to check progress. The onus is on you to follow up your application.

Further information is available at - performance licences for children

Frequently asked questions

Apply online

You must read the guidance here before starting the application:

First time applicants for a chaperone licence – application guidance   

Renewing your chaperone licence – application guidance  Opens new window

Apply to be a licensed chaperone

Top of page