Skip to main content

Apply for a waste permit

You can apply for any temporary or long-term waste permit online

Check if you need a permit

You'll need a permit if you're using a:

  • Van, pick-up truck or any vehicle designed or altered to transport goods
  • Trailer 4 foot 6 inches (1.37 metres) long or over (from front board to back board)


You're getting rid of:

Apply for a waste permit online

1. Register your details

If this is the first time you have applied for a permit online you’ll need to register your details first

Register your details

Once you’ve registered you will receive an email containing your log in details.

If you don’t see the email in your inbox after a few minutes please check your spam or junk folder.

2. Apply online

  • Please do not apply if you live in the city or neighbouring counties. Permits are only available to Leicestershire County residents.
  • You can apply online at any time of day apart from 11:30pm to 12:00 midnight.
  • Permits are free of charge.

Please note:

  • Permits are delivered to your home address or can be collected from a library.
  • You must have the permit before attending the waste site.
  • Permits will not be processed over the weekend, so please allow sufficient time for the permit to be processed and delivered to you or the library.

Apply for a waste permit

Renew a waste permit

Long term (12 visit permits) cannot be renewed. When your permit expires or has been used 12 times you need to apply for a new one.

When your temporary paint, asbestos or chemical permit expires you can apply for a new one as and when you need it (subject to restrictions, see individual permit information for details). You cannot renew a temporary permit. 

Changes to vehicle ownership or address

If you have a long-term (12 visit) permit, you'll need to tell us if:

  • the vehicle is sold
  • your address changes

You can use our online form to update details on a waste permit

If you need to visit the recycling and household waste site while you are waiting for your new permit you can apply for a temporary one.

Help us improve this page Hide content
Top of page