Eligibility and how to apply
If your child is eligible for a school travel pass or taxi place, you may have to pay for it if they’re attending a sixth form or a further education college.
The transport charge from 19 March is £198 for the remainder of the academic year. You can pay by debit or credit card in one lump sum or in up to 1 monthly instalments.
If you are eligible for transport and on a low income you may not have to pay.
Your child can get a school travel pass or taxi place if all of these apply. They:
- are 16, 17 or 18 year old when they start the course
- are doing a full-time course
- live more than 3 miles from either their nearest:
- school sixth form or freestanding further education / sixth form college
- freestanding Leicestershire further education / sixth form college
- Leicestershire school sixth form / frozen-area school sixth form
Frozen-area school sixth forms
If your child lives in the catchment area of a school sixth form that has had its catchment area and age range frozen since 2012, we will only provide transport to:
- that frozen-area sixth form,
- their nearest school sixth form
- their nearest freestanding further education / sixth form college or
- their nearest freestanding Leicestershire further education / sixth form college
How to apply
You have to apply each academic year for transport to school or college if your child is over 16 years old.
The 2018/2019 application form is now available.
Complete the online application form:
Application forms for the 2019/20 academic year will be available from week commencing 29 April 2019.
If you’re not eligible
If your child does not qualify for free school transport, you can:
- ask us to check again if you think we’ve made a mistake
- make an appeal