This site puts cookies on your device to make it work better. By continuing to use our site, we’ll assume you’re okay with this. More about cookies
Eligibility and how to apply
If your child is eligible for a school travel pass or taxi place, you may have to pay for it if they’re attending a sixth form or a further education college.
The charge for transport (from 19 March 2017) is £180 for the remainder of the 2016/2017 academic year. You can pay by debit or credit card in one lump sum.
The charge for the 2017/2018 academic year is £660. You can pay by debit or credit card in one lump sum or in up to 8 monthly instalments.
If you are eligible for transport and on a low income you may not have to pay.
Your child can get a school travel pass or taxi place if all of these apply. They:
- are 16, 17 or 18 year old when they start the course
- are doing a full-time course
- live more than 3 miles from either their nearest:
- school sixth form or freestanding further education / sixth form college
- freestanding Leicestershire further education / sixth form college
- Leicestershire school sixth form / frozen-area school sixth form
Frozen-area school sixth forms
If your child lives in the catchment area of a school sixth form that has had its catchment area and age range frozen since 2012, we will only provide transport to:
- that frozen-area sixth form,
- their nearest school sixth form
- their nearest freestanding further education / sixth form college or
- their nearest freestanding Leicestershire further education / sixth form college
How to apply
You have to apply each academic year for transport to school or college if your child is over 16 years old.
If you would like to make an application for the current academic year (2016/2017), please call Customer Services on 0116 305 0002 for assistance.
You can apply online for the 2017/2018 academic year:
If you’re not eligible
If your child does not qualify for free school transport, you can:
- ask us to check again if you think we’ve made a mistake
- make an appeal