Skip to main content

School transport for 5 to 16 year olds

Your child may be able to get free transport to school if they live further from their school than the walking distance allowed by law or if you’re on a low income. It will depend on where you live and which school your child goes to.

On a low income

There are additional rights to transport eligibility if you're on a low income. You can apply for free school or college transport for an 11 to 16 year old if you’re getting either of these:

And if the school is:

  • 1 of the 3 nearest qualifying schools which is more than 2 miles but less than 6 miles from home (schools less than 2 miles are assessed for the nearest schools) 
  • the nearest preferred faith school, based on your parents' religion or faith, which is more than 2 miles but less than 15 miles from home (you’ll need to provide evidence of your faith e.g. a minister’s letter)

How to apply

You will need to contact us and provide proof that you are eligible.

What you need as proof

Working Tax Credit

You’ll need to send a copy of your Tax Credit Award Notice Form TC602(A). If you haven’t received your renewal notice, you should still apply and send the notice when you get it.  If on Universal Credit, your detailed Universal Credit Statement.

Free school meals

You don’t need to send proof of free school meals but you will need to tell us so that we can check. You may also be asked to provide the surname, date of birth and National Insurance number of the person in receipt of the qualifying benefit in order to do this.

Further information

For further information, please see the Mainstream home to School / college transport policy 2020/21.

Top of page