Skip to main content

Changing a name

The Leicestershire Registration Service offers a change of name service. It allows you to change your own name or your child’s name.

Applying to change your name

If you change your name, official bodies (like banks and building societies) may require an official “Name Change Deed” to accept the new name. This is not a legal document but is a form of evidence that you've changed your name, and something we can provide.

To change your name or the name of your child you'll need to book an appointment, see contact details below.

You'll need to bring various original documents with you to your appointment, which may include:

  • Birth certificate showing the name which is to be changed
  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate
  • Decree absolute
  • Late spouse’s death certificate

We'll tell you which documentation we will need to see when you book your appointment.

You'll also need to complete an application form and bring it to the appointment.

Name Change Application Form - Adults   Opens new window

Changing your name after marriage or civil partnership

If you wish to take the surname of your spouse you don't have to complete an official change of name deed.  However, you should inform the following organisations:

  • Passport Office
  • Banks / Building Societies
  • DVLA
Top of page