Mental health for children and young people with SEND

Get help for children and young people up to the age of 18 who have mental health problems or development difficulties.

You may be able to get help from Children and Young People's Mental Health Services (CYPMHS)

CYPMHS is an NHS mental health service that diagnoses and treats:

  • mental health problems – for example depression and eating disorders
  • developmental disorders – for example autism and dyslexia

Information for parents

If you think your child has a mental health problem or developmental disorder, speak to your:

  • GP (doctor) or paediatrician
  • child’s teacher or the special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) at your child’s school
  • health visitor – if your child doesn’t go to school yet

If your child is over 18 years old, your doctor will refer you to adult mental health services.


Get advice from the Young Minds Parent Helpline. Young Minds is a mental health charity.

Telephone: 0808 802 5544 (free for mobiles and landlines)
Monday - Friday 9.30am to 4pm

There are other mental health telephone helplines which can give you advice about your child’s condition.

Information for professionals

Telephone the CYPMHS Advisory Service for Professionals for advice about:

  • how to refer a child to CYPMHS
  • other services available for children and young people with mental health problems or developmental disorders

Telephone: 0116 295 5048
Monday - Friday 8.30am to 3pm