Skip to main content

School transport

School Transport

Home to school transport

Are you a parent or carer of someone with special educational needs or a disability?

Get paid to take control of your child’s school transport. 

Find out about a Personal Transport Budget 

  • School transport for 5 to 16 year olds 

    Your child may be able to get free transport to school if they live further from their school than the walking distance allowed by law or if you’re on a low income. It will depend on where you live and which school your child goes to.

  • School transport for 16 to 19 year olds 

    Your child may be able to get a school travel pass or taxi place to go to sixth form or college. You may have to pay for it.

  • Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) school transport 

    Your child may be able to get free transport to school if they are aged 5 to 16 and have special educational needs or a disability (known as SEND). You may need to pay for transport if your child is under 5 years old and going to nursery or 16 to 25 years old and going to school or college.

  • School bus routes and timetables 

    School bus routes and timetables change every school year depending upon the locations of eligible pupils. They are sent out with school bus passes.

  • School transport appeals 

    You have the right to appeal if you disagree that your child doesn’t qualify for school transport. You can also appeal if you’re not happy with the transport they’ve been offered.

  • Replace a lost or stolen school bus pass 

    You'll need to apply for a replacement bus or train pass if your child loses their pass or it’s stolen. You'll need to pay £10 to replace a lost pass – unless your child goes to a special educational needs school or college.

  • Cancel a school bus or train pass or taxi place 

    You’ll need to write to us and send back your pass to cancel it and get a refund. We will only refund passes sent back before the end of February in each school year.

Top of page