Financial support for Ukrainian guests

Financial support available for Ukrainian families who are in Leicestershire as part of the British government's Homes for Ukraine scheme.

Emergency regulations have been laid so those arriving in the UK from Ukraine as a result of the Russian invasion can access Universal Credit and other benefits where eligible, and jobs support immediately.

Translation services are available to help new arrivals and Work Coaches /Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) staff are available to support people making claims online.

Immediate benefit support for those fleeing the invasion in Ukraine

Support with cash is available from the Red Cross – please call Red Cross National Support Line 0808 196 3651 – open daily 10am to 6pm.

Welcome payments

Every Ukrainian refugee staying in Leicestershire will receive a one-time 'Welcome' payment of £200 on a payment card. Payments for children will be added to the lead guest's payment card. These cards are posted directly to the guests at their sponsor/host address, by recorded delivery. Keep this card.

To trigger these payments, Leicestershire hosts (sponsors) must complete their Guest Arrival Form to tell us that their guests are here. We will then process their welcome payment cards (and the sponsor 'thank you' payments).

Transport grant

Ukrainian refugee guests are being offered a one-time travel grant to support their travel needs in Leicestershire.

Child Benefit payments

Anyone coming to the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme or Homes for Ukraine scheme is entitled to claim Child Benefit immediately, rather than having to wait for the usual three-month qualifying period.

To claim, complete a CH2 Child Benefit claim form and submit this by post to the Child Benefit office. The address is included on the form.

You should provide an original birth certificate and the passport or travel document used to enter the UK. Where this documentation is not immediately available, we advise you to include a note in your claim and someone from HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) will be in touch to discuss further.

If you want more information on Child Benefit, visit the Government’s Child Benefit page or call 0300 200 3100 (from inside the UK).