Free sessions are being held across Leicestershire this month to help parents and carers support their babies as their brains develop at their fastest ever rate.
The first ‘1001 critical days’ (from conception to a child’s second birthday) are a crucial time for building babies’ brains. By the age of two their brain is 80% developed and experts say that this time has more influence on a child’s future than any other time in their life.
To support this, Leicestershire County Council has organised the sessions for both new and expectant parents.
They will feature activities to support babies’ brain development and explore and model play ideas such as singing, reading and relaxing together. Those who already have little ones are welcome to come along and have fun with them as they learn.
The events will mostly be taking place at recently opened Family Hubs; 'one-stop-shops' where parents and carers can access family advice and support services in Leicestershire.
Parents will have the chance to ask questions, get advice and meet other families, with the aim of helping them feel comfortable and prepared for the vital role they play in their child’s development.
Becoming a parent is such an exciting time but we know it’s not always easy, that’s why providing help and support for new families is one of our priorities.
“The first 1001 days are an incredibly important time, particularly for brain development. I’d encourage any new or expectant parents looking for some guidance or support to join our welcoming sessions in a safe environment.”Person:Councillor Deborah Taylor, cabinet member for children and families
The events are being held at:
Blaby, Oadby and Wigston
- Friday 22 September (10am - 12pm) Pavillion Centre, Sportsfield Lane, Huncote LE9 3BN
- Monday 25 September (10am - 12pm) Wigston Family Hub, Long Street, Wigston LE18 2AH
- Tuesday 19 September (10 - 11.30am) Loughborough Family Hub, Regent St, Loughborough LE11 5BN
- Tuesday 19 September (10 - 11.30am) Thurmaston Family Hub, Eastfield Road, Thurmaston LE4 8FP
- Thursday 21 September (10 - 11.30am) Loughborough Family Hub, Regent St, Loughborough LE11 5BN
- Tuesday 26 September (10am - 12pm) Lutterworth Family Hub, Coventry Road LE17 4RB
- Wednesday 27 September (1 - 3pm) Broughton Astley Family Hub, Station Road, Broughton Astley,LE9 6PT
- Thursday 28 September Market Harborough Family Hub, Coventry Road, Market Harborough LE16 9BX
Hinckley and Bosworth
- Friday 8 September (10 - 11.30am) Earl Shilton Family Hub, Alexander Avenue, Earl Shilton LE9 7AH
- Tuesday 26 September (10 - 11.30am) Barwell Family Hub, Barwell C of E Academy, High Street, Barwell LE19 8DS
- Friday 29 September (10 - 11.30am) Hinckley East Family Hub, Granville Road, Hinckley LE10 0PP
- Wednesday 20 September (10 - 11.30am) The Edge Children Family Hub, Dalby Rd, Melton Mowbray LE13 0BQ
- Wednesday 13 September (1 - 3pm) Castle Donington Family Hub, Mount Pleasant, Castle Donington DE74 2LN
- Wednesday 27 September (10am - 12pm) Greenhill Family Hub, 171 Waterworks Rd, Coalville LE67 4HZ
Further advice and information on the first 1,001 days can be found on the dedicated webpage.