Please call 0116 305 6565 to make an appointment, and be reassured that your registration will be dealt with sensitively.
The Stillbirth and neonatal death society (SANDs) provides support and advice for anyone affected by the death of a baby.
Who can register a stillbirth?
- The date and place of the baby’s stillbirth, including the sex and surname. If a forename has been chosen this can also be recorded.
- Parents names, dates and places of birth and occupations.
If the parents are married or in a civil partnership:
- The mother’s maiden name, date of marriage or civil partnership and whether or not you have any other children.
It’s very important that the information recorded in the register is correct, as it’s only possible to make changes under certain circumstances.
At the registration you will receive the following certificates:
- Certificate of registration – this acts as proof that the stillbirth has been registered.
- Certificate for burial or cremation – this will be needed by the funeral director.
A certificate of stillbirth is also available for a small charge – this is a copy of the registration record.