Get help to stay independent

This page includes some of the services that can help you to stay independent in your own home.

You may be looking for information for yourself or for a relative or friend.

If you know what help and support you need, you may be able to arrange this yourself.

Equipment and Technology

You can find  equipment and technology to help keep you safe and carry on living independently at home on the following pages:


If you're struggling to cook, you might want to think about Meals on wheels.

Find care at home (Home care)

Home care can help you to live at home and remain independent for longer. Care workers can provide a range of support to assist you with essential daily living tasks.

You can choose how to access the support you need. You can:

  • arrange your own support privately through a care agency and pay for it yourself or
  • ask us for an assessment of your needsUnlike health services, social care isn't free and most people have to pay towards their care.

You can search for home care providers in our information and support directory or in the Care Directory for Leicester and Leicestershire - a local guide to care homes, care agencies and care support services.

Age UK provide a range of services including domestic help and personal care.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) inspects all regulated home care agencies in England and Wales. Search the website for a named care agency or enter your postcode to search for all care agencies in your area.

The National Institute for Care Excellence (NICE) online guide to home care tells you what you should expect from a good service. This is the same whether we're providing the help, or you're arranging your own home care services.

Repairs, gardening and cleaning

You can use the Age UK Leicester Shire & Rutland's handyman, gardening and cleaning service. It's available for people of any age who require their services.

Getting out and about

We encourage people to maximise their independence, health and wellbeing by getting out and about. 

This may be through the use of public, voluntary and accessible transport services, and mobility vehicles; independently or with assistance from family, a friend, carer or support worker.  

If you have problems using public transport due to age, disability or rural isolation, find out about accessible transport services in Leicestershire. 

If you need additional support to get out and about, you will need to contact Adult Social Care for a care and support assessment.    

If you’re already receiving transport services as part of a Care and Support Plan from the council and wish to change arrangements or raise any issues, call the Customer Service Centre.

Feeling isolated or lonely

If you’re feeling isolated or lonely, our Local Area Co-ordinators may be able to put you in touch with a support group or lunch club in your area.

You can also search our information and support directory to find help with transport and mobility and leisure and activities, amongst many other services.

Information and advice

Visit First Contact Plus for online help to stay healthy and independent. By making a self-referral, you’ll get a call back within 2 days.