Benefits and financial support for carers

As an unpaid carer, it is important that you are aware of what financial support might be available to you.

You may have given up work to be an unpaid carer or reduced your hours and be worried about money.

You may be entitled to:

Financial assistance and debt advice

If you need financial assistance or debt advice, there are a number of organisations that can help you.

  • The government money advice service offers impartial and confidential advice over the phone or online
  • Citizens Advice Leicestershire offers free, impartial, and confidential advice
  • Turn2us helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants, and support services
  • If you’re a member of a Union, you can get help with sorting out your finances and advice on benefits. You may be able to get a grant to help with household bills, ease debts, or help with the cost of a much needed break
  • The Royal British Legion offers financial support if you’re the dependent or unpaid carer of someone who served in the UK’s armed forces
  • Our Warm Homes service provides free, independent advice to help you reduce your energy bills

Further reading