Are you a carer?

Do you look after, help or support someone who wouldn’t be able to manage everyday life without your help, and you’re not employed to do it?

If so, we recognise that you’re an unpaid carer. 

You’re an unpaid carer even if you receive Carers Allowance. 

You're not an unpaid carer if you are providing care and support professionally or through a voluntary organisation.

Providing care for another person can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience. There are times however, when it can be physically and emotionally demanding. Recognising yourself as a carer is the first step to finding the right support for the practical challenges you face.

Types of carer

Check if any of the following describe your caring responsibilities:

Adult carer

An adult who provides care for another adult (e.g. partner, family member, friend or neighbour) who needs care and support or a parent caring for your child who is over the age of 18.

You may be working or in education and caring for an adult or child over the age of 18.

You don't have to be living with the person and the help you give doesn’t have to be physical care. You may be providing emotional support or more practical help.

Find someone to talk to about caring

Parent carer

A parent or guardian who supports an ill or disabled child (under 18 years) including a child or young person who is misusing or abusing substances and/or alcohol, to a degree greater than would be expected in a parenting role.

Ask for a parent carers assessment to see if you can get help with your caring responsibilities.

You may also want to view the special educational needs and disabilities pages.

Young carer

A child or young person, aged 18 years or under, who provides regular and ongoing care and emotional support to a family member who is physically or mentally ill, disabled or misuses substances. Find help for young carers.

We realise that you may not relate to the term ‘carer’ and see your caring responsibilities as your family or cultural duty but for the purposes of the information and advice contained in these pages, we will refer to you as a carer.