Choosing the best place to live

Our priority is to help you to stay in your own home with the right care and support that you may need, to keep you safer and as independent as possible. This may be by: 

  • making changes/adapting your home, or getting some equipment or technology to make life easier 
  • getting a carer or a Personal Assistant to help you with things that are becoming difficult

See our Get help to stay independent page for information and advice about what there is available to you.

Possible accommodation options for you

If you’re finding it difficult to manage in your current home, you may be thinking of moving to some place where you’ll feel safe or get more support.  There are a number of options for you to consider.

  • Sheltered, warden assisted or retirement housing is self-contained accommodation in flats or bungalows, with a 24 hour emergency call system and a visiting or on-site scheme manager or warden.  
    Most schemes are for people over 55 years old with some exceptions for younger adults.
  • Extra care housing (sometimes called assisted living) is similar to sheltered, warden assisted and retirement housing but it provides you with on-site care and support, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is flexible to meet your changing needs.
    Most schemes are for people over 55 years old with some exceptions for younger adults.
  • Supported Living is where you can get support to find and live in your own home.
    It is aimed at adults aged over 18 with a physical disability, learning disability, autism or mental health problems, and who have care and support needs.
  • Shared Lives placement is where you live with a family and they share their lives, families, home, interests, experience and skills with you to help support you to live your life to the full and develop independent skills.  
    It can be suitable for anyone with care and support needs.
  • Residential care homes and nursing homes provide accommodation, supervision from staff 24 hours a day, meals and help with personal care. Nursing homes also have registered nurses on duty at all times.

Planning for the future

If your circumstances change due to age or illness, you may need to make the decision to move home in the future. Planning for your future accommodation needs and costs is important, to avoid unsuitable decisions being made in a crisis.

Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) is a national charity that gives free advice and information about housing and care options and can help you plan ahead.

Our paying for your own care page has useful information and advice about independent financial advice and the importance of planning for your future care costs.