Skip to main content

Extra care housing

Check out choosing the best place to live for all the options available to you, if you feel you need more support to live at home.

What is extra care housing?

Extra care housing (sometimes called assisted living) is similar to sheltered/warden-assisted housing where you have your own individual self-contained flat or bungalow. The difference is that extra care can provide you with the reassurance that flexible care and support is available, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to meet your changing needs. Many schemes include a range of facilities and activities which are aimed at supporting your health, wellbeing and leisure interests.

Extra care housing is available to buy or rent. It can be provided by a local district council, housing association, charity or a private company.

Who is it for? 

Most extra care schemes are designed for people aged 55 or over who may require on-site support to continue to live independently in their own home.

Extra care is a popular choice among older people because it can provide an alternative to a care home. If you’re finding it difficult to manage in your current accommodation, and want to maintain your independence, this type of housing could be ideal for you.

Some extra care schemes are also suitable for younger adults who have eligible care and support needs and would benefit from the services/facilities that are available.

Benefits of extra care

Extra care housing is designed to make life easier living in your own home but provides you with much more than your own front door.

In addition to the communal facilities often found in sheltered/warden assisted housing such as residents' lounge, guest suite, laundry etc, extra care schemes provide a real sense of community and added security and can include:

  • a restaurant or dining room 
  • hobby rooms and computer rooms
  • health & fitness facilities 
  • hairdressers and beauty treatment rooms
  • library

You can join in a variety of social and leisure activities as much or as little as you want to regardless of age or frailty, so you won’t be isolated.

Where to find extra care housing in Leicestershire?

All extra care housing schemes are listed in the directory:

Search all extra care schemes in Leicestershire

Some private schemes (also known as retirement plus living) have buy-back options and other charges. These details should be provided in the purchaser’s pack from the housing provider or developer. Most schemes are leasehold and we recommend that you get independent advice on your rights and responsibilities before purchasing.

All extra care properties for purchase or part purchase/part rent will have their own eligibility criteria.  

Extra care housing for rent

There are currently six extra care schemes in Leicestershire for rent, that are run by housing associations or district councils.

They are:

If you’re over 55 and have been assessed by Adult Social Care as having eligible care and support needs, one of these schemes may be of benefit to you. Couples can live in these schemes if one or both of you have been assessed as being eligible.

There are a small number of private properties available to rent. These schemes often have fewer eligibility criteria but the rents may be higher. 

We intend to explore the future development of extra care housing in Leicestershire which will be purpose built accommodation designed to provide accessible, quality homes in a safe and secure environment.

How much does extra care housing cost? 

You will need to pay your housing related costs: ie 

  • your rent or purchase costs
  • service charges – that are payable to the housing provider and can vary considerably depending on the location and range of services provided. They cover items such as maintenance, lighting and heating of communal areas and emergency lifeline/alarm systems.  
  • your council tax, utilities (if not included in the rent), phone, food and other personal expenses.

Plus your care costs:

  • eg for assistance with personal or home care
  • For the 6 extra care schemes listed above, you’ll also pay a wellbeing charge which covers the cost of providing the on-site 24/7 response service at times of crisis or urgent need.

You will also need to have a financial assessment to find out how much you’ll need to contribute towards your individual care/support and the wellbeing charge.


Independent financial advice

We recommend that you take independent financial advice when planning for retirement living and paying for future care needs.

What help can I get to pay for extra care housing?

You may get help to pay the rent and service charges if you meet the eligibility criteria for housing benefit from your local district council.  You’ll need to contact them to find out whether you qualify.

How do I find and apply for extra care housing?

If you’re interested in one of the 6 extra care Leicestershire schemes listed above, contact the housing provider to register an interest and complete a housing application. You will also need to request an assessment of your care and support needs from Adult Social Care.

For all other extra care schemes, please use the contact details in the directory below:

Search all extra care schemes in Leicestershire


Help us improve this page Hide content
Top of page