Leicestershire County Council will be providing food vouchers for the families of pupils that are eligible for free school meals over the Christmas Holidays. These will be issued via your child’s school, so if your child is already eligible for Free School Meals you don't need to anything at this stage - your child’s school will issue you the vouchers in the next couple of weeks.
If your child isn't registered for Free School Meals and you receive any of the following benefits, your child may be able to get free school meals:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child may also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school
- in full-time education
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.
Infant free school meals in England
Your child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in a government-funded school and in:
- reception class
- year 1
- year 2
Tell us if you also get any of the qualifying benefits. Your child’s school can get extra funding if you do.
Only apply if your child currently has a Leicestershire school place – applications are not accepted in advance.
If you're ready to apply:
Please note: this is a new portal and you will need to register.
If you need help using the portal please view our: