Why choose a personal budget?
- Freedom to make your own arrangements – to suit your family
- Control over how the money is spent
- Your child may feel more secure and relaxed at school
- You can share the cost and save money by joining up with other parents
- You could use the money to help your child become more independent
How much is on offer?
We have increased the value of our PTBs with effect from 2022/23 academic year.
Your personal payment will depend on the number of days travelling and the distance from home to school using the council's measuring software.
Use the table below to see an approximate indication of how much PTB you may be offered.
Transport required (days per week)
|One-way distance from home to school (miles)
||5 days (full time)
||Less than 5 days (part-time)
|0 - 1.99
|2 - 4.99
|5 - 10.99
|11 - 15.99
Deductions for nursery and 16-18 year olds: There is an annual charge that is applicable to all non-statutory school age children eligible for transport assistance, including for PTBs.
If your child is 16-18 years old or attending nursery, an annual charge of £660 (or £330 for low income families) will be deducted from the amounts shown in the table above, including for those attending part-time.
How it works
- The money we’ve agreed will be paid each month directly into a bank account that you nominate.
- The agreement will be in place up to the end of the academic year.
- Before the beginning of each academic year you will need to re-apply for your PTB
- Each year you apply we’ll review the plan to make sure everyone is happy with the arrangement.
- You must spend the money in a way that ensures your child can get to school.
What you will need to do
There are some things we’ll ask of you. For example – you’ll need to tell us if your circumstances change or if your child is off school for more than a few days.
We’ll review your budget if your child’s attendance drops or if there are any concerns raised by the school regarding regular lateness or the travel arrangements.
We’ll also be in touch to review your arrangements if there are any changes to the law or the council’s policies.
The agreement will be in place up to the end of the academic year for which you apply, therefore you will need to re-apply for the following academic year.
We have explained these requirements in more detail in our information leaflet.
Apply for a PTB
If you are interested in a PTB for the 2022/2023 academic year, apply using our online School Transport Application form:
SEN Transport Assistance
Please note that there is no guarantee that all applications will be approved.