Skip to main content

Our response to the coronavirus outbreak is continuing – and our focus is on keeping critical services running, particularly those supporting vulnerable people.

We are currently working through the detail of the latest government announcements which affect Leicester city and parts of the county. 

Find out more about the support and guidance available, and any changes to our services.

Increased restrictions for Leicester and parts of Leicestershire  

Who to contact about a bin collection

Your district or borough council is responsible for your bin and household waste recycling collections.

They are also responsible for:

  • replacement wheelie bins, recycling boxes, nets and sacks
  • household garden waste collections
  • bulky waste collections
  • queries relating to missed wheelie bin and recycling collections
  • queries relating to materials collected in your recycling collections
  • payments for garden waste collections
  • sharps bins used to dispose needles and syringes

Find your district council

Clinical waste

You will need to arrange a special collection for the disposal of any household clinical waste. This can include: 

  • human tissue
  • blood and other bodily fluids
  • swabs and dressings
  • syringes, needles or other sharp instruments

Clinical waste must not be placed in your general waste bin.

If you need to dispose of clinical waste, please contact your doctor's surgery or local health centre to request a sharps box or clinical waste sack.

Request a clinical waste collection

Contact your district council to arrange collection of:

  • yellow sharps boxes for medical syringes

Contact your doctor’s surgery or local health centre to arrange collection of:

  • yellow clinical waste sacks for any waste contaminated with blood or other bodily fluids
Top of page