By using the Highway Adoption Status Search tool you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of use outlined above.
- Contact the relevant local authority for roads in the city of Leicester or roads in Rutland
- Contact National Highways about these trunk roads and motorways: M1, M6, M42, M69, A5, A14, A42, A46, A52, A453 from M1 J23a-24, A50 north of M1 J24
- Some paved areas such as garage access and grassed "open space" areas may be maintained by a district or borough council.
- For a common land, town and village green search, contact the Land Charges department of the relevant district or borough council
List Of Streets - Highways Act 1980 Section 36(6) & (7)
Leicestershire County Council is required under Section 36 of the Highways Act 1980 to keep an up-to-date record of all highways maintainable at public expense in Leicestershire. This is currently available across two online locations:
- Highway Adoption Status search tool
This free search tool (below) provides the adoption status of every known street in Leicestershire excluding most Public Rights of Way.
- Online map of Public Rights of Way
The legal record of Public Rights of Way in Leicestershire is the Definitive Map and Statement and is only available on request.
Part Publicly Maintained Roads
The County Council can clarify the status of a part publicly maintained road in relation to a particular property on that road. Please send a plan of the area highlighting the property in question to email@example.com We will reply free of charge confirming whether the property is served by the publicly maintained section of highway. If you require a plan in response, fees may apply.
Highway Adoption Status search tool
This search tool has been prepared using best available information from records compiled by the county council and is correct to the best of our knowledge. It does not constitute a definitive statement as to the status of any particular highway, neither is it a comprehensive list of all streets in the county (though many are included for informative purposes).
- The extent of adoption (carriageway, footway and verge) cannot be inferred from search results, please see highway record enquiries if you require this information.
- The classification of a named road (whether it is an A, B or C road) is not specified in search results. To find this information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The combination of road name and town/parish or district that you enter may return no results
- Ensure you spell the road name correctly
- Ensure the road is within Leicestershire County Council’s administrative area - enter the relevant postcode
Please notify us if you believe any of the information is incorrect.