Child Employment

young girl being taught how to dry hair by a hairdresser

Find out about child employment rights, when you need a child performance licence and how to become a child chaperone.

Know the law when it comes to employing 13-16 year-olds.

You must get a performance licence if there are children taking part in a performance you are producing or organising (as long as they are not exempt). We issue licences to protect a child’s education, health, safety and welfare.

Chaperones look after children who take part in performances or activities such as dancing, theatre, film, television, modelling or sport.

Find out when children of school age can legally work and the type of work they can do. Children can only work if they have a valid work permit. Employers are responsible for applying for a child’s work permit.