Apply to be a licensed chaperone

Chaperones look after children who take part in performances or activities such as dancing, theatre, film, television, modelling or sport.

All children who require a performance licence must be supervised by a licensed chaperone or their own parent/legal guardian, school teacher or home tutor at all times.

Grandparents, aunts and uncles, childminders etc. are not legal guardians, unless they are recognised as such by the courts and will need to be licensed as a chaperone.

Parents, unless they are a licensed chaperone, can't be responsible for children other than their own.


To apply for a chaperone licence, you must be 18 years old or over and live in the Leicestershire County Council local authority area.

Check your address

Chaperone licences

There are two different chaperone licences that you can apply for:

Professional chaperone licence

Apply for a professional licence if you are contracted to an organisation as a paid chaperone.

The cost of a professional licence is £48.40.

Volunteer chaperone licence

Apply for a volunteer licence if you are not receiving payment to work (e.g. if you are a volunteer for a local dance school).

The cost of a volunteer licence is £8.40.

Your duties as a chaperone

A chaperone must show the same care a good parent would and cannot carry out another role at the same time, or have any other responsibilities associated with the performance. The main responsibilities include:

  • to protect the health, safety and welfare of the children in your care
  • being aware of health and safety issues on set/stage/backstage
  • making sure the children have sufficient breaks, rest and meals
  • ensuring the conditions of all children's licences are met

You must stay with the children you are supervising at all times. When they are performing, you don’t need to be by their side, but you must always be able to see them.

Applying to be a licensed chaperone

Applications are now made online (below) – paper applications are not accepted.

You must allow up to three months for a chaperone licence to be approved. It can be quicker than this but we cannot guarantee anything less than three months, due to a DBS being undertaken –– please consider this if you wish to be a licensed chaperone for a specific event.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

To apply for approval as a licensed chaperone, you will need an Enhanced DBS check – we complete this as part of the application process.

If you already have a DBS Certificate, it may be possible to use this as part of your application. However, the DBS check must meet all of the following conditions:

  • Be issued by the registered body "East Midlands Shared Services"
  • Have an issue date within the previous 12 months
  • Be an 'Enhanced' type and checked against the "Children's DBS Barred List"
  • You must present the original DBS Certificate

If you already subscribe to the online DBS Update Service, you will not need to apply for a new DBS Certificate with us. We will need you to show us the original Enhanced DBS Certificate that you used to register with the Update Service, and give us permission to carry out an online Update Service check.

Approved applications

If you have been approved as a licensed chaperone, you’ll be sent your certificate and ID badge by post – these are valid for up to 3 years. You must tell us if your circumstances or address change as this can invalidate your licence.

If you do not receive your chaperone licence within two months of submitting the form to us, please contact us to check progress. The onus is on you to follow up your application.

Further information is available at Performance licences for children (GOV.UK)

Frequently asked questions

I don't live in Leicestershire, can I still be a chaperone with you?

No, only Leicestershire residents can apply (not Leicester City or any other authorities).

You must apply to the local authority where you live and pay your Council Tax. If you are unsure, you can find your local council.

Can my application be fast-tracked?

No, each application is dealt with on a first-come first-served basis.

Where can I use my chaperone licence?

Your chaperone licence is valid all over the country, you are not bound to the organisation that you are applying to chaperone for.

I've lost my chaperone licence ID badge and/or certificate, what should I do?

You can request a replacement badge and/or certificate which will cost £5. Email us at

Will you remind me when my licence is due to expire?

No, it is the licence holder's responsibility to check and make sure you apply to renew your licence in plenty of time.

My child is performing next week, can another family member or friend look after them instead of me?

Only if they have parental responsibility for the child or if they are a licensed chaperone.

How old does a child need to be to legally require a chaperone?

The child will need a chaperone until they have completed compulsory education (the last Friday in June, following their 16th birthday).

I have concerns about someone who is chaperoning, who can I speak to?

You can speak to someone from our Child Performance and Employment Team on 0116 305 6597 / 0116 305 6544 / 0116 305 7820 or email

Does the Local Authority have the right to inspect performance venues?

Yes. The Local Authority, where the performance takes place, is legally permitted to carry out unannounced inspections whenever they desire.

Apply online

You must read the guidance here before starting the application:

Apply to be a licensed chaperone