Skip to main content

Coronavirus is still a danger

To help prevent the spread and stay safe you can:
• keep a distance from others
• wear face coverings where required
• wash hands often
• get your vaccine/booster when you’re eligible
• regularly test and self-isolate if required

Further guidance on how to stay safe and prevent the spread

Sign up to Leicestershire Matters for council updates

Further education for special educational needs and disabilities

When you reach 16 years old, you can choose to go on to get qualifications at a further education (FE) college or sixth form college.

What you can do when you reach 16 years old

You can study at a further education (FE) or sixth form college from 16 to 24 years old. 

If you don’t want to go to FE or sixth form college, you can do:

Talk to your careers adviser at school about which would be best for you. 

What you can study

Depending on the college, you can study for qualifications like: 

  • ‘A’ levels
  • foundation degrees
  • Business and Technology Education Council awards (BTECs)
  • National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs)
  • GCSEs

Courses for people with learning disabilities

Some colleges have courses that help young people with learning disabilities become more independent and help you get a job when you leave:

  • Homefield College is an independent college for people with learning disabilities
  • RNIB College is a college for people with physical or learning disabilities
  • Brooksby Melton College is a further education college that has courses for people with learning disabilities to help you get a job

Find a college

When you choose a college, you’ll need to think about:

  • what you want to study
  • what help you may need to study 
  • any facilities you may need to help you get around

You’ll find a link to each FE college’s ‘special educational needs and disability information’ in the list of Leicestershire’s FE colleges.

Find a further education college  

Sixth form colleges

Not all sixth form colleges can take students with special educational needs (SEN) or disabilities.   

Find a sixth form college  

Funding for college

Most courses are free. You may be able to get financial help with your day-to-day living costs and fees for courses you have to pay for.

Homefield College

You can apply for funding to go to Homefield College when you apply for a place at the college

Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans

Your school will send on your Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan to the college you go to.  

Also see

Top of page