Skip to main content

Coronavirus is still a danger

To help prevent the spread and stay safe you can:
• keep a distance from others
• wear face coverings where required
• wash hands often
• get your vaccine/booster when you’re eligible
• regularly test and self-isolate if required

Further guidance on how to stay safe and prevent the spread

Sign up to Leicestershire Matters for council updates

Independent advice for special educational needs and disability (SEND)

You can get advice, information and someone to speak for you if you’re having difficulties with getting your child the help and care that they need. The organisations that offer advice and someone to speak for you are independent of Leicestershire County Council, schools and the health service.

The Council for Disabled Children have created this short animation to help explain what the Information, advice and support service (IASS) must do to support you or your family

Health and social care

Contact Healthwatch Leicestershire to ask for:

  • someone to step in, to speak to a healthcare provider (such as a GP or dentist), for you
  • help to make a complaint about health or social care services
  • information about what care you or your child can get

Your child’s condition

Search our Information and Support Directory for community and parent groups that can give you advice about your child’s disability or condition.


There are 2 organisations you can contact for advice about your rights and what you can do about:

  • problems with your child’s school
  • your child being excluded from school
  • asking for an assessment
  • annual reviews of your child’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan
  • disability discrimination 

SEND Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS Leicestershire)
Telephone: 0116 305 5614
Monday to Friday 9am to 3pm
More information about SENDIASS

Independent Parental Special Educational Advice (IPSEA) helpline
IPSEA call back service

Help with assessments

SENDIASS can help you and your child with assessments for SEND Support Plans and EHC Plans. They can also help you if you disagree with a decision.

They can:

  • help you prepare for meetings 
  • go with you to meetings
  • explain the assessment process to you and talk through what your child can get
  • help you to write your views

They can’t:

  • make decisions for you
  • go to meetings without you
  • help you with other family problems – their role is to help you with the assessment process

To get an independent supporter you can contact the following service:

SEND Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS Leicestershire)
Telephone: 0116 3055614
Monday to Friday 9am to 3pm
More information about SENDIASS

Residents of Leicester city should contact SENDIASS Leicester.


There are independent organisations that can help you solve:

Top of page