Skip to main content

Coronavirus is still a danger

To help prevent the spread and stay safe you can:
• keep a distance from others
• wear face coverings where required
• wash hands often
• get your vaccine/booster when you’re eligible
• regularly test and self-isolate if required

Further guidance on how to stay safe and prevent the spread

Sign up to Leicestershire Matters for council updates

Regulation of activities on watercourses

Information relating to flood risk management and watercourses.

Regulation is the management of any activity that creates obstructions to flow in watercourses. This is done to ensure that flood risk is managed. It involves giving consent for acceptable work to be carried out and taking enforcement action if work is unacceptable. 

Consent to carry out work

To carry out work on, or near to, a watercourse you may need our consent.

We are responsible for granting consent for works on ordinary watercourses. An ordinary watercourse is defined as not being a ‘main river’ and can include streams, ditches, drains etc. other than those that belong to Severn Trent or Anglian Water.

Consent for works on ‘main rivers’ is the responsibility of the Environment Agency.

If you’re unsure what type of watercourse your intended work is on, you can check the main rivers map. If the watercourse is not included on the main river map it is likely to be an ordinary watercourse.

Activities on ordinary watercourses that require consent are those which are likely to cause an obstruction to flow or restrict storage and include culverts, bridges, weirs etc.pens new window

Opens new windowLCC consent application form   Opens new window

Please note there is a charge of £50 for each structure or operation for applications made under the Land Drainage Act.

Land drainage consent checklist   Opens new window

LCC consent application guidance   Opens new window

Consentable activities - cross sections   Opens new window

Enforcement action

When work is carried out without consent, and where we deem that consent would have been needed, works cannot be retrospectively consented.

In these cases we will normally take action to ensure the ordinary watercourse is put back to the condition it was in beforehand. This is very important as work carried out without consent has the potential to increase flood risk to people and property.

Waterside living

A ‘riparian landowner’ is someone who owns land next to a river, stream or ditch. The Environment Agency has produced a guide which explains the responsibilities and rights of waterside living.

Trent Valley Internal Drainage Board

There are areas around Bottesford, Redmile and Harby that fall within the responsibility of the Trent Valley Internal Drainage Board. For specific details of the areas and drainage assets that are involved please contact the board directly, email, telephone 01636 704371.

Top of page