Leicestershire County Council is one of the best performing councils in the country. In 2019, we were named the most productive council in the country for the third year running.
It’s our people that drive the council’s success. Their day-to-day effort, creativity, determination and commitment to the people of Leicestershire to help us achieve our aims.
Benefits of working for us
As an employee of Leicestershire County Council, you will benefit from:
- Being in a position to make a difference to the people and communities of Leicestershire
- A competitive salary
- The opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Access to a car sharing scheme
- Access to a cycle to work scheme and lease car scheme (subject to qualifying conditions)
- Access to a professional counselling service
- Free car parking (at the County Hall site and some of our local offices)
- Training and career development opportunities
- An occupational sick pay scheme
- Access to a range of local and national discounts on shopping, eating out, bus travel, health clubs and much more
- Relocation expenses (subject to qualifying conditions).
Positive work life balance
To support our employees to achieve a positive balance between their work and home commitments, we offer the following:
- Generous annual leave entitlements (between 24 and 35 days per year depending on your grade and length of service)
- Smarter working arrangements including working compressed hours, term-time only, job share, part-time, and home working
- A range of family friendly policies including maternity, adoption, paternity and parental leave. We’re also a fostering friendly employer – foster carers that also work for the county council receive paid fostering leave when it’s needed.
- The opportunity to join our workers’ groups (Disabled Workers’ Group, BAME Staff Network, LGBT+ Staff Network, Working Carers’ Group)
- A career break scheme (subject to qualifying conditions)
- Special leave provisions for employees with caring responsibilities.
Health and wellbeing
- Discounted local gym membership
- Free eye test (if your job involves using a computer)
- The opportunity to join our workers groups (disabled workers’ group; BAME staff network; lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans network; working carers’ group)
- Access to a confidential employee counselling service
- Advice and support from an occupational health service when required
- A range of activities to support health and wellbeing including mindfulness sessions, exercise groups, menopause support network, and a singing for fun group
- Support to stop smoking
- We promote the use of standing desks and walking meetings
- On-site shower and changing facilities.
Learning and development
- An induction for new starters and the ability to join a new starters’ network
- An annual performance and development review to discuss your career aspirations and what support you will need to help you progress
- Regular one-to-one meetings with your manager
- E-learning on a variety of topics (e.g. equality and diversity, information security, environmental awareness)
- The opportunity to undertake qualification and non-qualification courses which are relevant to your role
- Job shadowing, either within your own or another team
- Being a mentor to another council employee or signing up to become a mentee.