Families with children returning to school in Leicestershire this autumn can access new online information and support.
Schools across the county will open their doors to all pupils within the next few weeks after being closed to most since tighter lockdown measures were introduced in March.
We have published new practical guidance about returning to school on themes such as attendance, hygiene and school transport, as well as information about health, wellbeing and adapting to new routines.
Many of our children and young people have been out of school for some time now and the new ‘norm’ will be obviously be different from what they are used to.
“Our families have been incredibly flexible during this pandemic, taking on home schooling and making it work for them, and school staff have done an amazing job looking after vulnerable children and the children of key workers while schools were closed to the rest of pupils. We’d like to thank you all.
“However, now is the time to go back to school and, with that, we realise that people will have lots of questions about what this will look like.
“We have included some practical information about returning to school on our web pages but would like to add that schools are making their individual arrangements about when they are returning and will be contacting parents about this through their usual communication channels.
“We do appreciate that a return after such a long time can be an anxious time for families. For many, attending school on a daily basis again will be a big change in routine, possibly sleep patterns too, and may even spark some social anxiety.
“This is why we have also added information about managing worries and anxiety, keeping fit, creating structured routines and the importance of a healthy diet.
“We hope that the information we are providing will go some way towards allaying people’s concerns.
Person:Councillor Deborah Taylor, cabinet member for children and families
- Practical Information about returning to school in Leicestershire.
- Hints, tips and resources about managing worries and anxiety keeping fit, structured routines and eating healthily.
- The council is also confirming its arrangements around home-to-school transport, for both mainstream pupils, and students with SEND.
- Families are being encouraged to consider walking, cycling or scooting to school to keep healthy and help maintain social distancing. More information on sustainable ways to travel to school.
- Schools in Leicestershire will return from Wednesday, 26 August onwards. All schools will be carrying out their own rigorous risk assessments and have been making their own plans for the safety of their pupils. Information about returning will be available via your school’s usual communication routes. You can also visit your child’s school’s website for more information.
- Information for city schools and for schools in Rutland.