Skip to main content

Apply for a parking permit

If you live or work in a designated restricted parking area in Leicestershire, you are eligible to be considered for a parking permit.

Residents or businesses in a 'permit holder only' zone in the city will need to get a parking permit from Leicester City Council. 


Any resident or business with an address within one of the designated restricted parking zone areas is eligible for consideration for a parking permit (exclusions may apply), subject to the restrictions in the 'Operation of permit parking' document.

Operation of permit parking document  Opens new window

Parking permits for businesses are available for: 

  • vehicles owned, hired or leased to a business
  • vehicles registered to employees of the business

Restricted parking zones

There are restricted parking zones in the following areas: 

  • Anstey
  • Loughborough
  • Melton Mowbray
  • Market Harborough
  • Narborough
  • Oadby and Wigston

To find out if your property or place of work is in one of these restricted parking zones, please see this list of zones.

List of restricted parking zones  Opens new window

How permits are allocated

Up to 2 permits are allocated per property or business at any one time. 

If a single property has been converted to several properties this does not guarantee that each new property will be eligible for a permit.

We treat all applications on a first come first served basis, and will not enter into discussions or provide advice in cases where there are conflicts between residents in multi-occupancy properties. 

Permits cannot be transfered.  If you leave the property or business and no longer require your permit, you'll need to return it, so the allocation can be available to another person.

Residents and businesses may also apply for visitor parking permits.

    Cost of permit

    Cost for a residents' or business parking permit:

    • Car for up to 6 months - £25
    • Car for 6 months up to 1 year -  £50
    • Motorcycles - £25
    • Blue badge holders – free

    You’ll be contacted by a member of the residents' parking team from a withheld number within 5 days of your application being submitted. If your application is successful, we'll take payment over the phone.

    How to use your permit 

    You'll need to ensure that civil enforcement officers can clearly see your permit for it to be valid.  You are not exempt from the parking restrictions if you have submitted an application but do not have the permit yet.

    Your permit contains the following information:

    • permit number
    • zone number
    • vehicle registration
    • make of vehicle
    • colour of vehicle
    • expiry date

    When to apply 

    You need to apply for your permit as early as possible to ensure this is in your possession before you wish to park within the zone. If you are applying for a temporary permit you may apply up to 30 days before start of tenancy.

    You'll receive your permit within 3 to 5 days to the address that you require the permit for. 

    How to apply 

    Residents' or business parking permit: 

    You can apply for a residents' or business parking permit online.


    We cannot consider your application for a permit without the following correct documentation / information.

    1a. A copy of one of the following to prove residency:

    • a tenancy agreement (preferred for student accommodation) - to include the following information:
    • a utility bill - gas, electricity or water (not a phone bill), to include property address, dated within the last 3 months 
    • a council tax demand, dated within the last 3 months
    • a bank statement, dated within the last 3 months
    • a mortgage statement, dated within the last 3 months
    • a letter from a solicitor, confirming the date of completion and exchange

    1b. A copy of one of the following to prove a business address:

    • a written request on company-headed paper, with proof of business address, and signed by the owner

    2. A copy of one of the following to prove car ownership: 

    • vehicle registration document (V5C) - only the 2nd page required, providing this shows the name and address of the registered keeper (example of 2nd page)
    • V5C Section 10 (Old style V5C only) – new keepers supplement is acceptable if you've recently purchased a vehicle from another owner (example of section 10)
    • a copy of the V5C2 (Old style V5C only) or sales invoice for the new vehicle is acceptable if you've purchased a new vehicle and do not yet have the V5C 
    • other proof of car purchase in the absence of a V5C e.g. letter from garage, or receipt of purchase.  This must show your name and address

    If you're a student living in temporary accommodation, your vehicle registration document may show your permanent home address and have the car registered in the name of another family member. This is acceptable for students living away from their permanent home on a term time basis.

    3. A copy of the front and reverse of your blue badge and your blue badge number if you're a blue badge holder.

    4. The zone that you are applying for your permit.

    Apply online for a residents' or business parking permit  

    Generic business parking permit for zone 32:

    You'll need to complete the workplace parking permit application PDF form:

    Workplace parking permit application form  Opens new window

    and return with:

    • proof of business address, e.g. a business headed letter 
    • the correct fee - there is no facility for payment in person at County Hall

    to the following address:

    Residents Parking 
    PO Box 9854
    LE3 7BX


    Top of page