Notice of marriage or civil partnership

Before you can get married or form a civil partnership, you will need to give notice of this intention.

Giving notice

Notice is a legal statement of your intention to marry or form a civil partnership. This must be signed (in person and by appointment) at one of our Leicestershire Registration offices if you live in Leicestershire and have done so for the past 7 days. 

Both individuals must give a legal notice to their district’s registration services at least 29 calendar days before your marriage or civil partnership. This notice period could be extended if you are subject to immigration control

If you are a Leicestershire resident, you must notify us. Leicester City residents should notify Leicester City Council

Book an appointment 

If you live in Leicestershire, please call Leicestershire Registration Services on 0116 305 6565 or email us at to book an appointment.

What to bring


Please book an appointment once you have all original documents prepared.

There is a fee of £42 per person, or £57 per person if you are referred to immigration control . Please bring a debit or credit card with you to your appointment to pay this fee. 

You will need to bring one of the following to prove your name, age and nationality:

  • a full, in date, passport
  • a full, original, UK birth certificate if you were born before 1 January 1983

If you were born after 1983, to prove your nationality, you will need to bring:

  • your full original birth certificate
  • your mother's (natural or adopted) UK birth certificate - if your parents were married at the time of your birth, you can bring your father's UK birth certificate if your mother's is not available

You will need to bring a physical copy of one of the following to prove your current residency:

  • a utility bill dated within 3 months of your appointment
  • a bank or building society statement dated within 1 month of your appointment
  • a council tax bill dated within 1 year of your appointment
  • a current Residential Tenancy Agreement
  • a valid driving or provisional licence showing your current address
  • a letter from your landlord, dated within the last 7 days – this should confirm you live there and should include your landlord’s name, address, and their signature

You must also bring accurate information on:

  • the date and time you plan to marry or form a civil partnership
  • the details of the final venue for your ceremony

If you have been married or in a civil partnership before, you will also need to bring one of the following documents:

  • a decree absolute or final order – the names on this document must match all the documents you are bringing in. If this is not possible, you will need to bring a copy of your original marriage certificate, or a name change document
  • your former partner’s death certificate showing your name as the surviving spouse

Inclusion of parents’ details

This is optional but is recorded for historical purposes.
If you would like to include your parent details on your marriage schedule, please bring accurate spellings of their full name, their occupation and whether they are retired. You can include stepparents if they are married or were once married to your natural parents.

Non-UK nationalities

If you or your partner are from outside the UK, you will also need to bring:

  • a passport sized photo for each person (even if only one person is from outside the UK)
  • proof of your current immigration status e.g., your visa
  • an accurate translation of any required documents that are not in English

If you’re from the EU, EEA or have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, please bring:

  • evidence of your settled, pre-settled or pending applications to the European Union Settlement Scheme
  • your ‘share code’ so your Registrar can view your immigration status

The appointment

You should arrive 10 minutes before your appointment.  If you are more than 10 minutes late, we may need to rearrange your appointment and we cannot guarantee it will be on the same day.

At the appointment, you will be required to proof-read the documentation and it is important you ensure its accuracy.


Correcting any mistakes after your ceremony will cost £99. These corrections will be sent to the General Registrar and can take up to a month to be corrected.

Immigration control referrals

Leicestershire registrars will refer your notice to the Home Office if one or both of you are:

  • EEA / Swiss nationals without settled or pre-settled status
  • non-EEA nationals without evidence of one of the following:
    • settled status in the UK (Indefinite Leave to Enter or Remain)
    • an EU law right of permanent residence in the UK
    • a marriage or civil partnership visa
    • exemption from immigration control

The Home Office may extend your notice period from 29 days to 71 days. Please take this into consideration when you are planning to give notice. 

For more information on immigration control referrals, please visit the marriage and civil partnership referral and investigation scheme (GOV.UK)