Skip to main content

Mental health: information, advice and support

Guidance on the mental health and substance misuse services available to safely support clients with mental health issues and/or problematic use of substances.


If you are worried about the immediate health and safety of an individual, please contact the emergency services directly on 999. Also see: Get support with mental health and wellbeing

It's important to try to direct your clients or customers to the most appropriate service or intervention. In most cases the Mental Health Wellbeing and Recovery Support service or Local Area Coordinators will be able to offer the best route for additional support for your clients or people you work with.

For more serious concerns regarding someone’s mental health, please refer to the Mental Health Crisis Support section for information on the services available.

Mental Health Wellbeing and Recovery Support Service

In partnership with the Integrated Commissioning Board (Clinical Commissioning Group), Leicestershire County Council commissions three providers to deliver the Mental Health Wellbeing and Recovery Support Service. This is an open access service and does not require clients to have assessed eligible needs.

The service provides information, advice and navigation and community recovery support to people experiencing issues with mental health. All providers have a detailed understanding of other support available in the community and also have links with support around substance misuse. All providers have good links to crisis services and can provide support for clients and care provider staff teams with information on how to identify mental health issues with clients.

Please see below for a description of each providers services, their contact details and the districts of Leicestershire that they serve:

Local Area Coordinators in Leicestershire

Local Area Co-ordination is a person-centred approach which focuses on a person’s strengths and the assets of the community they live in. We look at how they can be used to improve a person’s quality of life and make sure communities are inclusive.

We help you

  • think about how to make life better and look at what they have to offer
  • connect with others and be part of their community
  • find out what’s happening in their area and get the right help for them
  • take some positive actions.

We can:

  • put people in touch with their local services or community groups
  • work with people to help them achieve their goals and to lead a happier life.

To find out if there’s a Local Area Co-ordinator in your area, contact:

North West Leicester and Charnwood
Vicky Utting
Telephone: 07534 263 203

Hinckley and Bosworth
John Coghlan
Telephone: 07943 026 977

Blaby, Oadby and Wigston
Jennifer Fielding
Telephone: 07739 035 296

Harborough and Melton
Mary Sawu
Telephone: 07787 596 898

Leicestershire County substance misuse support

If you are concerned about any of your clients in respect of problematic use of substances, you can access support for your clients through two providers.

Turning Point are the commissioned substance misuse provider covering Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland and have a group of peer mentors who will be able to provide telephone support to your clients and staff.

View further information on the range of services offered by Turning Point

Mutual Aid substance misuse support

You can also contact the mutual aid organisation, Dear Albert, for substance misuse support. Their free helpline 0800 8303646 can be called by service users and staff for more information or to be booked on to any of their support groups. Service users can also request support via text message through 07712 707999.

Dear Albert are also providing telephone support and referrals to other services including Turning Point when appropriate.

A new group for county residents called 'Stick With It' is launched on Wednesday 13 May and can be accessed through the freephone telephone number above.

More information on the different services and groups available at Dear Albert.

Mental Health Crisis Support

Covers all areas of Leicestershire

If you are worried about the immediate health and safety of an individual, please contact the emergency services directly on 999.

If concerns arise in terms of Individual’s mental health, mental capacity or if you feel that they cannot keep themselves safe either because of abuse or neglect by others or through self-neglect then intervention and support should be sought through the formal statutory services.

If someone has an allocated worker from either Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust (LPT) or the Local authority, then they should be immediately contacted and alerted to the concerns.

If someone does not have an allocated worker and you are concerned about their mental health, then please contact LPT on:

  • Telephone: 0808 800 3302 (24-hour NHS phone support line for all urgent mental health needs for people of all ages in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland).

The mental health Central Access Point (CAP) phone service, links callers with call handlers and clinicians who can assess their needs and advise, support, signpost or refer them directly to the appropriate service.

If someone does not have an allocated worker and you are concerned in relation to mental capacity or from a safeguarding and/or self-neglect perspective, then please contact: 

Adult Social Care Customer Service Centre

Outside of these times and in an emergency, please contact the Emergency Duty team on 0116 255 1606.