Skip to main content

Covid - latest information

Coronavirus restrictions remain in place across the country – here’s the latest information on our services.

You can find more information about current restrictions and what you can and can't do

Sign up for the council's coronavirus updates

Changes to benefits when you go into a care home

Some of the benefits you and your carer (or your husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner if they’re not your carer) get will stop or change because you’re no longer living at home.

You and your husband, wife, civil or unmarried partner will no longer be treated as a couple if you move into a care home permanently. 

You’ll need to inform the Department for Work and Pensions even if you move into a care home on a short term basis.  This is because it may affect the amount of benefits you receive if your stay is longer than 28 days or you’ve had a hospital stay within 28 days of your residential care short stay.

If you’re a couple and you go into a care home and your partner remains in the main home, we’ll ensure that they’re left with at least a weekly income, equal to basic income support/ pension credit for a single person and any benefit premiums / additions they are entitled in their own right.  They’ll have to agree to disclose the required information to get this.

Who to tell

You must report the change in circumstances for both the person moving into the home and the carer. Who you tell will depend on the benefit:

Top of page