Paying for your own care - self-funder

If you’re paying the full cost of your care to live independently at home or in a care home, you’re known as a self-funder.

Who is a self-funder

You’re a self-funder if you have:

  • chosen not to approach adult social care for help
  • had a care and support assessment but don’t meet the eligibility criteria for adult social care
  • chosen not to be financially assessed for care at home or for a care home
  • eligible care and support needs but have more than £23,250 in assets and savings

Planning for your care costs

Independent financial advice

We recommend that you find independent financial advice to help you to cover the costs of your care for now and in the future.

Power of attorney

You may want to think about bank accounts, guardianship, making a lasting power of attorney and creating a will.

Financial support

Benefits and grants

You may be entitled to receive some benefits

Continuing healthcare with the NHS

Under certain circumstances, you may be able to get help from the NHS towards paying for your care and support, through continuing healthcare.

Help with finding the right support

You can request a care and support assessment to understand your care needs better. This may help you to find the right support a bit easier.

Following your care and support assessment, you can ask us to arrange care in your own home for you. We will charge you an arrangement fee of £281 which is reviewed on an annual basis. The self-funder arrangement fee covers the council's costs to find a care provider, negotiate rates, make payments and send invoices to you. This charge is in addition to the cost of your care.

Moving into a care home

If you’ve already considered all the help you can get to stay independent and feel you cannot manage at home, you could also consider extra care, sheltered and warden-assisted housing, supported living and shared lives. If you’re still thinking of moving into residential care, we’d advise you to have a care and support assessment to determine the level of your needs. We’ll be able to provide you with information and advice and possibly suggest alternative ways to meet your needs. This could save you money.

Using your home to pay for the costs of your care home

A deferred payment scheme means you can use your home to pay for the costs of your care home and won’t have to sell it in your lifetime

Equity release scheme

If you’re a home owner, you can release cash from your home, to pay for your care fees, while continuing to live in it. 

You should always take independent financial advice before making any decision like this. 

Websites offering independent financial advice about equity release:

Equity release for care at home from Which? Later life care
Money Advice Service's equity release information