Apply for a licence
You must submit your application at least 21 days before the first performance. If you need your licence issued sooner please contact us as we may be able to complete your request in less time but there is no guarantee.
Child performance licences are free of charge. You can only apply for a child performance licence if you are the person responsible for the production or organising the performance that the child is taking part in (ie the producer or director). You will be known as the licence holder.
- Complete part 1 of the Child Performance Application Form Opens new wind
- Ask the parent to complete and sign part 2 of the form (including the medical declaration)
- Ask the head teacher to complete and sign part 3 of the form If the child will need time off school
- Get a photocopy of the child’s birth certificate or passport to prove their date of birth
- Get 1 recent passport sized photograph or a digital photograph
- Get a copy of the child’s contract (if appropriate)
- Sign part 2 and send all of these items / documents to us.
Your duties as a licence holder
You must make sure that all children, taking part in the performance, are accompanied and cared for by their parent or an approved chaperone.
You are required to keep a record of the child’s performance times and breaks for 6 months after the last performance on the licence.
The Children (Performance and Activities) (England) Regulations 2014 sets out important restrictions that must be followed to ensure children are treated correctly when taking part in child performances.
You must pay particular attention to:
Maximum hours at a place of performance or rehearsalExpand content
Earliest and latest times at a performance or rehearsalExpand content
Maximum hours of continuous performance or rehearsalExpand content
Maximum total hours of performance or rehearsalExpand content
Minimal times for meals and restExpand content
Minimum break between performancesExpand content
Maximum number of consecutive days to take part in performances or rehearsalsExpand content