Child employment rights

Apply for a child work permit

Employers are responsible for making sure any child of ‘compulsory’ school age that they employ has a valid work permit or ‘employment card’.

Children are of ‘compulsory’ school age until the last Friday in June in the academic year in which they become 16.

Employers can get a child work permit by:

They must make sure the:

  • parents (or guardian) of the child they’re employing signs the application form
  • child’s school signs the form, so they’re aware of the child’s employment

Completed application forms should be sent to:

Child Performance and Employment Team
Children and Family Services
County Hall

The work permit is only valid for a specific job with the stated employer. If the child changes job or gets a new job with a new employer, they will need a new work permit.