Skip to main content

Funded childcare places

All 3 and 4 year olds and some 2 year olds are entitled to 570 hours per year of funded early education and childcare.

Funding for 2 year olds

Some 2 year olds in England can also get the childcare funding.

To qualify you must be getting one of the following:

  • income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Tax Credits and have an income under £16,190
  • Universal Credit and have an annual net earned income of not over £15,400

Children are also entitled to a place if they:

  • are looked after by the county council
  • have a current statement of special education needs (SEN) or an education health and care plan
  • get Disability Living Allowance
  • have left care under a special guardianship order, child arrangements order or adoption order

If your child is eligible, you can start claiming  the term after they turn 2. The date you can claim will depend on when their birthday is.

Child’s birthday between:When you can claim:
1 January and 31 MarchFrom the 1 April following their 2nd birthday
1 April and 31 AugustFrom the 1 September following their 2nd birthday
1 September and 31 DecemberFrom the 1 January following their 2nd birthday

You can check if your child is eligible on Leicestershire’s Citizen Portal. You can also ask your childcare provider to help you check:

How-to: Portal Registration and Changing Your Details    Opens new window

If you haven't used the portal before or for more than 12 months, you'll need to register. You will then be able to apply for funding for your 2 year old:

How-to: Apply for 2 Year Old Funding    Opens new window

Leicestershire Citizen's Portal

Also see

Top of page